Our School

In Elko, our schools are the heart of the community. We are proud to continue the legacy of Grammar #2 that began nearly a century ago. 

School History

The site for Grammar No. 2 was purchased in April 1929 for $1,200. Construction of the central two-story brick building, with a tile roof, was completed in January 1930 at a total cost of $92,585. The original building consisted of 12 classrooms, a principal's office, a nurse's office, and a basement. The school opened its doors to students in January 1930, after the Christmas holiday.

What is now the second-grade classrooms, plus a library wing and a gym were built in 1954. The roof structure was strengthened in 1979. The original 1929 boiler was replaced and the roofs of the wing buildings redone in 1995.

In the more recent past, Grammar #2 has seen plenty of remodeling, updating, painting, rewiring, new carpeting, and landscaping. We’ve also added one modular trailer to the central school area, two modular trailers in the old basketball court area, built the adjacent kindergarten addition, completed the 7th Street project, and installed a computer lab.

Non-Discrimination Statement

Elko County School District does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, and age, and that they provide equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups.